18 février 2006

ze future...

in case i don't get a job this year, just in case, and because it's not so dramatic and because after all i might enjoy a relaxed final year at purdue and could use some extra time to prepare myself for a job, i've applied for a mentoring position (engl. 505) for next year, and i've also been asked (and accepted) to teach english 002 again. so there. no panic. i'm slowly getting used to this idea and it's ok. after all, i did say i was trying to get a job but would be ok if i didn't find one. right? i don't hate this place! and that's how my last year as a master's student was: not much work left to do on my thesis, no courses to take (except bookbinding and spanish for fun), and just one year to enjoy! so i'm still sending out applications and waiting to hear from a few places, but i'm not worried about the future.

4 commentaires:

At 2/18/2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

Hey, it's nice to take some time off sometimes... And by that I mean not being overworked and hectic at all times... That's how the last year of my PhD was for me, and I'm glad I've been able to finally breathe in the last couple of weeks, and work 9-5 shifts for a change. Thought I'm considering working tomorrow, because I have a couple of fast approaching deadlines in view... Anyhow, it's nice to read you, and I really hope you get the position in Toronto - U of T is the best university I have ever been to so far, in all respects!
Cheers,

Aurélie

 
At 2/18/2006 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

Staying at Purdue for five years is not a bad idea. I am glad I did. I always say SARS prevented me from graduating the same time as Chris. But if I had graduated within four years, I cannot imagine where I am now. Probably I had not found a job in the States and had gone back to China. The extra year allowed me to work out several publications and to reconceptualize my dissertation for a broader audience. The extra year also allowed me to attend more happy hours, which made me love the place and the people more. There are not many places in the States as friendly and cozy as West Lafayette! The extra year can be extremely valuable if you spend it wisely. Teaching both 505 and 002 is surely a wise move. Maybe you can also take Eng 519 or Tony’s Seminar on Second Language Writing. They will strengthen your theoretical foundation for mentoring and teaching English writing, which is also valued in the job market.

 
At 2/18/2006 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

I forgot to say, never lose hope in your job search. I am glad you don't seem to.

 
At 2/20/2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Scott a dit:

There is something to be said for knowing that you don't have to find a job because you still have another year of funding (where you'll be paid one third of what a tenure track position pays). But, if you are doing a full search next year and writing the diss, you may be trying to finish two chapters and do five campus visits in the same month. Not exactly stress free, IMHO.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< à la maison