28 juillet 2005

why the blog?

i am not writing this blog to be read. at least not by a regular audience who will love and applaud and get addicted to my writing. far from it. i'm writing for myself, to remember because i never remember, to take notes of important facts, to see the progression of my work (or lack thereof), and to complain. i could write on paper or not publish all that, but the reason why i do publish it is because it might be useful for someone (don't be insane like me, don't try to be an overachiever, don't think YOU can do it, don't think you'll get irb approval where all others have failed!). i have four regular visitors: one from tamu.edu, one from unh.edu, one from purdue.edu, and of course, my mostest favoritest one from scotland. other people come and go, like now i have someone from japan coming regularly, and someone else from the east coast... and all i am hoping is that some of these people are teachers or phd students and that what they read here will help them make smarter choices and advise their students better. nobody told me that trying to get 30 irb approvals was like trying to make the americans love the french: no matter how hard you try, there is just no hope that it will ever happen.

so yeah, this place is for me. if you like it, fine. i wouldn't read it if i were someone else, because all i do is complain. it's ok with me. it's the point. no one listens to my complaints because no one knows what the hell i'm doing. my advisor doesn't know, and the rest of my committee doesn't have a clue what i'm doing either. except for the two psych guys, i'm entirely on my own. and it's not fun. maybe it's the point of doing a phd, trying to survive loneliness, but there's something i didn't realize before i chose my topic: no one in an english department can be expected to be an expert in psychology and in statistics!

on a scale from 0 to 10, 0 being "i don't know what the hell i'm doing, i don't know what i'm getting into, and i don't know the implications of what i want to do" and 10 being "i know VERY WELL what this all is," i started with a 3, last fall. this is normal, i think. my master's thesis really didn't teach me much, just the very basic ideas of doing research and using stats. then my advisor gave me fox' dissertation and that took me to a 4. fox gave me the first clue that i had to go farther for my dissertation than for my master's thesis. then i found that really excellent book about doing research in language programs, in april. that got me to a 5. i hope you noticed that i wasted an entire semester NOT KNOWING what i was doing or supposed to do! meeting with fox and then with the two psych guys took me to an easy 6. that's when i really started to know at least where to look for answers, and in what direction i had to go. working on my own all summer and then meeting with the psych guys again recently took me to a 7, and i think i'm almost at an 8 now that i'm reading this monster handbook of attitude. i finally understand the implications and the real psychological and statistical issues of what i'm doing/should be doing. what i should have been doing all that time. what people should have told me to read in january. what i didn't even know existed all that time! why my research project will suck because it's too late now but hey, i've done the best i could, it's frustrating but that's life. i'll do it better next time!

anyway, all that to say that i don't need stupid comments. i'm hesitant to cancel the "comments" function because i enjoy the encouraging and funny and smart comments too much. that's what i need. intelligent encouragements. and to laugh. and help. because i don't always know what i'm doing. for the depressing stuff, i can do it myself very well thank you, no need to add to it. oh, and another thing: a post on a blog is a moment in time. it doesn't represent a whole day, the 10000 emotions felt that day, the excellent pizza i had for lunch, the fun time i had playing with my cats, or the good movie i saw the night before. it just represents the way i feel at the moment i choose to write. it's not the whole me, it's maybe 1/10000th of me.

as for the people from tamu and unh, i'd love to know why you keep reading this, honestly. if it's because you're doing something similar, or if you need reasurance that you're not the only one who suffers through a phd, or if you've bet $500 that i'd never make it alive to the end ;) if that's so, sorry to disappoint you, i might complain a lot and go through hell every day, but i'll make it! it's the day i stop complaining that you should start worrying seriously about me.

ok, just for my favoritest person from scotland, i'll tell a potentially good news: i've sent an email to tons of groups of international students at purdue to ask them to help me with the back translations of my questionnaires... and as i'm getting a few responses back from people, i'm starting to realize that this might be a great opportunity to meet some really cool, cute, fun, sexy, interesting, smart, rich, single people :D

7 commentaires:

At 7/27/2005 3:07 AM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

Yes, I read your blog for the soothing feeling that 'I'm not the only one suffering through it'. And also because that subject of yours is intriguing and reading the making-off is interesting.
Why, surviving loneliness is by no means the point of the PhD, and it's not a great and fun human experience either. From overcoming suffering and stress and loneliness, what do you really get, pride or relief? Are these really supposed to be a valuable lesson from life?
No doubt, it has its wonderful moments too, or we wouldn't be doing it.
But in the end, it's just a passage to something else. With a toll.

Then when it's finally over, if you're lucky in the tricky world of academia, you get it. At last. You get to work with a lot of different people on various projects. You get to work on various things at the same time. You get the financial resource to fill your fridge and your bookshelves.

Um, that definitely was an optimistic day.

 
At 7/27/2005 6:41 AM, Blogger kiara a dit:

I am SO jealous !!! If you do meet a cute, fun, interesting and single icelandic guy, i'm moving to Cornalnd, so that you can introduce him to me, i warn you !!! ;)
(yeah, i'm the mostest favoritest... uhuh !!!)
Have a good time in Madison :)

 
At 7/27/2005 8:39 AM, Blogger kiara a dit:

Oh, thought i'd add something a bit more serious: what you're saying about the reason why you write your blog, and the reason why you won't disable the comments, well, i feel exactly the same "at home". Sometimes i'm really about to shut the comments down, because they are annoying me, really, but then i remember that you and Mimile and my cousin and other nice, smart and funny people come there and tell me nice things that make me smile or think, so it's actually worth it reading through the crap just for those few people i care about. :)

 
At 7/27/2005 8:51 AM, Blogger lucie a dit:

hi nice person from japan :) glad to finally "meet you". thanks a lot for your message! i believe you also speak french? where in japan are you? so you're doing a phd too? about the future rewards of having done a phd, i know you're right, but it's hard to focus on that when articles are rejected, for exemple. it feels like i'll never fit in academia, you know, like i'm pretending but really, i'll never make it.

kiara: love ya :) (but if i find a cute single icelandic guy, i'm not sure i'll share ;)

 
At 7/28/2005 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

I don't know how many time you have to achieve your phd, but I really think that 8 is a great score reaching in less than a year.
Keep walking, lulu... :-)
(hmm, nothing more intelligent or fun to write. this comment should be filtered and never appear in the list)

 
At 7/28/2005 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

Hi Lucie,
I have started to read blogs when my best friend introduced me to it. When I was going through NNEST website, I came across your web blog, somehow, can't remember how!! Yes, I am a Ph.D. student in the ESL field, so many times I read your blog and see that I AM NOT ALONE...There are times I am tired and want to give up, however, I have committed myself to Ph.D. and don't want to give up after 3 yrs and feel myself as a failure...reading your blog is definitely helpful, since you are my colleague...keeps me on track :)and I tell myself, study...study...

Ates from tamu.edu

 
At 7/29/2005 10:39 PM, Blogger lucie a dit:

thanks for all your messages, everyone :) it's nice to feel a know a little more about all of you.

frez: a phd usually takes 5 years... i'm starting year 4, and hoping to finish the phd at the end of year 4. which means i have one more year to reach 10 :) yeah, i'll make it, maybe, and if not, it's not the end of the world...

Hi Ates from tamu :) you and i are the same stage, too far to give up! it's nice to know that there are other people out there who're struggling too, sometimes. what's your research about?

hi novice blogger :) it's amazing to me, sometimes, how much determination i have somewhere inside me... but on a day-to-day basis, i often feel very insecure an ready to give up. but i still go on.... and i'm sure you're doing tons of things too, maybe you're just not writing about it with the dramatic tone i like to use ;)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< à la maison