22 juillet 2006

ze end

i am in canada. finally. it really happened. things are going relatively well even if it's going to take a while before i'm used to living here. everything is different and i miss my quiet little cornfield and my easy life. my appartment is a mess and i have thousands and thousands of dollars of credit card debts to repay for the next 10 years. but i'll be ok, i think.

work hasn't started yet but i'll probably survive. when in doubt, i re-read the post i wrote after my interview there.

i am closing this blog now, after some hesitations because i enjoyed having a quiet, almost private place here for my english-speaking friends and anyone who's going through a phd and job search. i'll leave the blog available so people can find ideas and stuff, but i won't write anymore. i made the final decision this morning, when i read that a very famous blogger was fired from her job because she had talked about it on her blog (among many other things), although she had never mentionned her name nor the name of the place she worked at.

i wouldn't write mean things about my new job or people (i don't think i have done so too often in the past, and i've never named the very few that i criticized openly), but i think that even writing ANYTHING about my new job and people might put me at risk. it's very sad, because i see this blog as a way to help other phd students and people that are new to the job market. it's also a strength of mine, that i can keep records of what goes on in my life, work, and studies, and share tips, ideas, suggestions... but it seems that these kinds of skills are not yet recognized by most employers and are instead seen as a threat (which it can be, at times, i know). oh well.

i've loved writing here and it's helped me a lot go through my phd. i've also loved the comments and suggestions that my very dear readers have written here. thank you!

you know where to find me, and if not, just email me at lmoussu [@] purdue [.] edu so we can keep in touch.

5 commentaires:

At 7/22/2006 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

Surely you can archive this blog, so it can stay with you forever. As a historian, that is my favorite thing to do. I have turned some of my archives into published articles. Recently I took a poem that I wrote in my undergrad junior year in China and put it into my book manuscript, which I never thought I could have done 13 years ago.

While you close this blog, you can open up another one. Who can stop you from expressing and archiving your thoughts on your teaching, research, and life? My colleague Jenny Edbauer as well as many in Rhetoric and Composition continue to blog after their phd studies. See Jenny's at http://workingblue.org/su/.

 
At 7/22/2006 4:37 PM, Blogger kiara a dit:

i'm a wee bit sad that this "private little corner" won't exist any more, but glad to hear that you're eventually where you always wanted to be: in Canada !!! I'll still "see" you on the french-speaking big avenue though :)

 
At 7/23/2006 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

I always thought you spent so much time on your multiple blogs because you had a strong need for validation.

 
At 8/08/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger kiara a dit:

Hey, Dr lulu, i was thinking: maybe you could end this blog with a last post: a post that'd show a picture of your graduation ! :) Congratulations again !!

 
At 8/10/2006 7:32 PM, Blogger lucie a dit:

dr. kiara: excellent idea, thanks :)

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< à la maison