02 octobre 2005

technology i love you!

i am currently writing this post from my second computer... which is nothing unusual, except that it's not connected to the internet... but it is! what what what? ok, here's the story. i have a dsl connection on my first computer, with a modem and tons of wires all over the place. and until know, i connected my second computer to the neighbor's wireless connection! no problem there. all i used it for was to save the excel file where i enter the data from the questionnaires i collect, and to check if anyone had filled out the teacher or administrator questionnaires.

unfortunately, my neighbor put a password on his connection, yesterday. so there i was, unable to do my work! i thought of buying an airport extreme thingy, which would have allowed me to have a wireless connection of my own, but it says that not all computers are able to receive an airport extreme card, and since they don't say WHICH computers do and which ones don't, i'm not going to spend $200 for nothing.

so i thought i was screwed... until this morning, when i chatted with my darling sister, who told me that you can actually connect computer number 2 to the internet through computer number 1, if computer number 1 is connected to the internet! holly cow! why didn't i know that before?? since my sister didn't know how to do this, she asked her boss, who was online, and we chatted for a while until i was able to make the connection work. her boss was very nice! and it worked! the only thing that does NOT work is that it won't let me access any secure page. can't check my emails, bank accounts, or anything else like that (which i guess is good) and the problem is that i can't access my yahoo server, where i saved my documents before. i tried through FTP and it won't let me do it, then i tried through the browsers, and it won't let me do it. so that's that, i guess. fortunately, i was saving my documents on another server, .mac, which i access directly on my desktop, and that one works! yeahhhhh!!! it was useful to access my yahoo server through FTP so i could share documents with the young lady who's helping me with the data and stuff... but i guess we'll find another way. i'm SUPER HAPPY SOMETHING WORKS! i love macs!!!

ok, back to entering stuff... i've reached 599 questionnaires already! pretty good :)
cross your fingers for... you know who!

6 commentaires:

At 10/02/2005 8:41 PM, Blogger Scott a dit:

So what do you do to make sure you don't make any mistakes in entering the data? Some people find a willing victim to read them the data while they type it in.

 
At 10/02/2005 8:58 PM, Blogger lucie a dit:

someone's entering all the data on another worksheet at the same time, and at the end, we'll compare our worksheets and repair any mistake.

someone reading the data to me while i enter it wouldn't prevent me or that other person from making mistakes. my system is nice, because what are the odds, on 600+ questionnaires of 40 questions each, of me and her making the same mistake? at the end, you just substract her data from mine, and wherever there's something else than a zero, that's a mistake and we know exactly where it is.

 
At 10/02/2005 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

I think we have the same computer (number 2) and you can't use an airport extreme card. But you can still connect to an airport extreme base station! But : if you do so, you'll be limited to your "ante-extreme" airport card speed. No big deal. ;)
Good luck with the excel sheets.

 
At 10/02/2005 10:33 PM, Blogger lucie a dit:

aca: so basically WHO can use an airport extreme card??? my computer number 2 is only a year and a half old! thanks for the info though, that'll be good when i get a third computer ;)

 
At 10/03/2005 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonyme a dit:

Mine is older then. New computers definitely can use an airport extreme card. And anyone with a decent computer (starts with an A*) can use an airport extreme base station.

Maybe you can use the card in Number2 but if extreme wasn't already released when you bought it, chances are you can't. Do you have an internet connection fast enough for extreme to make a noticeable difference? Or are you looking for excuses to get a new one? ;)

 
At 10/03/2005 7:56 AM, Blogger lucie a dit:

aca: i have a good dsl (external modem) connection... which i i am not sure i could connect to a basic airport express base. if i new for sure that i can, i would be happy with that, it's much cheaper, since it's cheaper AND i wouldn't need to buy an airport extreme card, in addition to the base.

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< à la maison